21 Jul What to expect at your first Gynaecologist appointment
Your very first Gynaecologist appointment will be the most comprehensive and most likely the longest one you’ll have during your pregnancy. Your first Gynaecologist appointment will typically take place sometime between the first 8 to 12 weeks of your pregnancy.
Overall, there will be a lot of time spent on making sure you have all your questions answered. You’ll have tests, information will be gathered and there will be lots of sound advice given—from what to eat, how much to exercise, what to expect and what prenatal vitamins to take, to name a few. Other things included may be:
- A breast exam
- A pelvic exam
- Pap smear
- Blood work
- Height and weight
- Date of your last menstrual period
- Medications you’re taking, medication allergies
- Your family’s medical history
- Urine test
- Discuss warning signs and symptoms to watch for
- Discuss possible genetic testing
- Check your overall health
- You may have an ultrasound
- An estimated (emphasis on estimated) due date
One helpful tip is to arrive prepared for your appointment with vital dates, information, and questions ready. You may be familiar with the basics, but don’t ever hesitate to call your practitioner’s office if you have any questions or concerns. Make sure you take time during your Gynaecologist visit to ask as many questions as necessary to make you feel comfortable and ready to start this exciting journey!
Here are some quick tips from What to Expect on how to prepare for your first OBGYN appointment to make the most out of your visit:
- Make a list of key health facts regarding your medical history. Think of any major surgeries or illnesses, allergies, mental health history, details about your cycle, and any immunizations you’ve had.
- Make a list of all the medications and supplements you take.
- Jot down your questions
Don’t forget to bring these helpful notes with you! You’ll have a lot on your mind, so doing a little prep work beforehand will make it go smoothly and effectively.
Ta-Da! You Did It!
Relieved? We want you to know that your first Gynaecologist appointment isn’t anything to worry about. Now go treat yourself to some frozen yogurt with all your favorite toppings!
There really is nothing more intimate than an Gynaecologist exam room. Not only is your personal health in their hands, but now your baby’s health as well.
Request an appointment with My Gynaecologist today!
You don’t want to trust just anyone with the most sensitive parts of your body. That is why you need to think carefully when choosing your gynecologist. Your gynecologist will help you define huge parts of your health and wellness throughout your life by:
- Screening you for diseases
- Helping you plan a family
- Assisting with or preventing pregnancies
You want to be sure you’ve had all of your questions answered and are completely comfortable before becoming a patient.
Your gynecologist plays a vital role in keeping your reproductive system healthy. My Gynaecologist knows that it’s an important decision when selecting the right gynecologist/obstetrician. The physicians at My Gynaecologist will provide you with an individualized approach to your care. Schedule an appointment today!