17 Nov Introduction to Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is very common in Indian women. Burning sensation, pain or discomfort in the lower abdomen, frequency of urination, the passage of urine drop by drop is the common symptoms of UTI. It is caused by bacteria which can affect any part of the urinary tract from kidney to the urethral opening. UTI, if left untreated may cause reappearance. Infection of the urethra is very common in females.
E.coli bacteria is the common bacteria causing UTI, but when present in the colon is very useful to protect from other infectious bacteria. In females –the opening of urinary passageway, vagina and anus are very close. Hence urethra is susceptible to getting infected with E Coli bacteria through faecal matter if not washed thoroughly.
Causes of UTI are:
- Improper wash after excretion. Wiping from back to front can transfer bacteria from anus to urethra
- Rising incidence of Diabetes in our country. Diabetic patients are more prone to UTI as bacteria can raise easily in urine with sugar.
- Incomplete clearing of urine as during pregnancy due to pressure on the urethra
Why treat UTI in Time?
Women never take UTI as a serious disease. If it left untreated, may cause-
- kidney damage
- It can cause low birth weight and growth obstruction and premature delivery in pregnant women
- Sepsis, which is a life-threatening condition
Following precautionary measures are helpful
- Do not hold urine for longer hours
- Empty your bladder before going to bed
- After urinating clean your private part
- Consume plenty of water
- Cotton undergarments are beneficial especially during summer and monsoon
- Avoid unnecessary use of coffee, citrus juices and soft drinks
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting undergarments
- Last but not the least follow your doctors advise and take the complete medications
Being an expert, Dr. Usha M Kumar can determine if a UTI or different illness is causing your symptoms and determine the best treatment. Want to schedule an appointment? You can contact her here: https://www.drushamkumar.com