05 Nov Ovarian cysts – 7 troublesome symptoms to watch out for
You are blocked from good health by small ovarian cysts. We hope this article by Dr. Usha M Kumar – the best Ovarian Cyst Doctors in Delhi NCR helps you understand what ovarian cysts are, why they occur, and most importantly, what signs you can notice when you have ovarian cysts that indicate a bigger issue.
Ovarian Cysts: What are They?
During her menstrual cycle, every woman has two ovaries that produce eggs, also known as ova. The eggs develop in follicles that produce estrogen and progesterone. When it’s time to ovulate, the follicles release the eggs. However, in some cases, the follicles don’t release the egg and keep growing in the ovaries. This results in an ovarian cyst, which is a fluid-filled sac.
You will soon have a group of ovarian cysts if you do not release the egg on every monthly cycle. The ovarian follicles may be small, like a pea, or large, like a lemon. The small ones are harmless, but large ovarian cysts can cause severe health issues.
A few types of ovarian cysts are follicular cysts, corpus luteum cysts, dermoid cysts, cystadenomas, and endometriomas.
What causes ovarian cysts?
In most cases, ovarian cysts are caused by hormonal imbalances, which can also result in irregular menstrual cycles. Pregnancy, pelvic infections, and endometriosis are other possibilities.
In case you’re unfamiliar with the term, endometriosis is a painful condition in which tissue similar to that in your uterus starts to grow outside of it instead. Cysts that have previously formed in the ovary can also cause ovarian cysts. It is possible to have more than one growth in the ovary.
7 Signs of Ovarian Cysts that Could Lead to Bigger Problems
1. Ovarian issues: Large ovaries can place undue pressure in the abdomen. The result may be difficulty passing stool, causing you to experience bowel issues.
2. Urinary issues: The same undue pressure in the abdomen caused by large cysts causes problems emptying the bladder. In such a case, the woman may feel the urge to urinate, but not be able to.
3. Dyspareunia: It refers to the pain experienced during vaginal sex in the pelvic region of the body. Cysts in the ovaries, especially large cysts, can cause this pain. As a result, during the intercourse, the man’s penis might hit the cysts and cause them to leak fluid, resulting in pain. This process is called cyst rupture. When women near their menopause experience Dyspareunia, it could be a sign of ovarian cancer.
4. Abdominal issues: Because of their size, ovarian cysts can cause bloating, swelling, or a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen.
5. Pelvic pain: During or before your menstrual cycle, you might experience pelvic pain. This may be on only one side of the region where large cysts have formed. Chronic or intermittent pain may eventually spread to the lower back and thigh region. It is important to get checked for ovarian torsion if this pain is accompanied by nausea or vomiting. It is a painful issue where the enlarged ovarian cysts cause the ovary to move or twist at its place.
6. Irregular and painful menstrual cycles: Cysts can cause PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), which can further cause irregular menstrual cycles. Heavy bleeding and severe pain may accompany these cycles.
7. Hormonal abnormalities: As a result of cysts in your ovaries and the banned release of eggs, your body begins to behave abnormally. It may produce hormones irregularly. In addition to more cysts, this may also result in hirsutism (unwanted and abnormal hair growth in different parts of the body) and changes in how your breasts grow.
Ultrasounds, MRIs, blood tests, biopsy and pregnancy tests can be used to diagnose an ovarian cyst. If you have any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should consult a gynecologist and get these tests done.
You will need proper treatment from a specialist who has years of experience and practice. Untreated ovarian cysts can lead to more serious problems. Ovarian cancer is one such troublesome issue that you need to avoid as much as possible.
As the best Ovarian Cyst Doctors in Delhi NCR with over 20 years of experience, Dr Usha M Kumar can help you easily deal with this issue of ovarian cysts. My patients have all been happy with the treatment they received, and I am sure you will be too. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, doubts, or are experiencing any troublesome reproductive issues.
Make an appointment today to make sure you have a healthy and pain-free future.