06 Dec Why Should You See A Gynaecologist For Irregular Periods?
From her first period to perimenopause, a woman rarely experiences consistent menstruation. Due to various factors ranging from dietary changes to physical disorders, irregular periods often occur. To treat your irregular periods, it is therefore recommended that you visit a gynaecologist with high experience and reputation in gynecology. This article contains everything you need to know about irregular menses and when to speak with the best gynecologist in South Delhi.
Why Do Irregular Periods Occur?
It can take up to 7 days for your uterine lining to shed during menstruation. Regular periods take place every 21-35 days (nearly a month). You will, however, have an irregular period if your menstrual cycle is longer or shorter. Here are some symptoms of irregular periods:
- The number of days between each cycle begins to change dramatically.
- Your period durations change significantly.
- Menstrual bleeding or spotting between periods is irregular (less or more).
- You often miss your period.
- You may experience nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and other symptoms during your period.
Consult the best gynecologist in South Delhi if you experience any of the signs listed above. Your doctor will diagnose your symptoms and recommend the appropriate treatment.
Irregular Periods: Causes And Effects
Irregular periods are caused by a variety of factors. These factors include:
- Factors such as puberty, breastfeeding, pregnancy, childbirth, and menopause can impact the body’s hormone production. Late period symptoms can result. During puberty, for instance, your body gradually adjusts to a regular pattern of hormone production. Therefore, you may experience irregular menstruation during this time. Menstruation stops completely during pregnancy. After delivery, it slowly returns to normal. As you approach menopause, bleeding and periods become irregular. Menopause occurs when you haven’t had a period for a year or more.
- Using contraceptive pills for the first time usually results in lighter bleeding. This usually resolves within a few months. It is also very common to bleed more with IUDs (intrauterine devices).
- You should experience stress from time to time. If you experience extreme stress or other lifestyle factors, these factors can delay your period.
Hormonal imbalance can also be caused by:
- An eating disorder such as bulimia or anorexia
- Performing intensive physical activity or sports training
- Losing or gaining weight in an extreme manner
- Cigarette smoking
- Prescription medications
- Alcohol consumption (since the liver plays a major role in the production of progesterone and estrogen)
- Menstrual difficulties may result from poor nutrition (carbohydrate-rich diets).
In addition, the following physiological disorders may also be associated with irregular menses:
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome occurs when you develop small cysts inside your ovaries. The main symptom is irregular or no menstruation. You may also experience rapid weight gain, acne, and excessive body hair growth (hirsutism).
- Hormonal imbalance and menstrual problems are often associated with thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Menstrual cycles may be impacted by irregular thyroid hormone levels. Check your TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) levels from time to time by visiting the best gynecologist in South Delhi.
- A condition known as endometriosis occurs when the cells lining the endotromium (inner layer of the uterus), which contain endometrial cells, grow outside the uterus. It may be painful, despite not being cancerous. Most commonly, fallopian tubes, ovaries, and pelvic linings are affected. However, it can be treated in some cases. It can cause fertility disorders in extreme cases.
- The pelvic inflammatory disorder occurs when sexually transmitted microbes infect your womb, fallopian tubes, and ovaries through your vagina. Without treatment, it can cause serious damage to these organs, resulting in high pain levels. It manifests as irregular bleeding during intercourse or between menstrual cycles.
It is rare for irregular menses to be caused by uterine or cervical cancer. Bleeding may occur during intercourse or between periods.
It is important that you see a reputed best gynecologist in South Delhi as soon as you experience menstrual abnormalities since early detection can help prevent complications.
The Treatment Of Irregular Periods
Depending on the specific cause of your irregular periods as determined by your diagnosis, you will receive appropriate treatment.
- Your doctor may recommend a different contraceptive method if your menstrual problem is caused by contraceptive pills.
- Maintain a healthy weight if you have PCOS. As your weight decreases, your body produces less insulin, thereby lowering testosterone levels and increasing the chances of ovulation. The best gynecologist in South Delhi may recommend a PCOS diet plan if necessary.
- If you have thyroid problems, your gynecologist may recommend lifestyle and dietary changes, medications, or radioactive iodine therapy. In some cases, surgery may be necessary.
- Hormone therapy is usually effective in treating endometriosis. You may also need fertility treatments and/or surgery in severe cases.
- A gynecologist may recommend an STD test to evaluate the risk factors for PID since it is commonly caused by a sexually transmitted infection. A treatment plan will be recommended once you are diagnosed. The treatment may require you to avoid sexual activity. You may receive a combination of antibiotic medications to regulate your periods. Surgery is rarely necessary.
- Stress can be managed by taking adequate rest, exercising regularly, and maintaining a balanced diet. To deal with your stress burden, you can also seek the help of mental health professional.
Menstrual irregularities should only be treated with medications prescribed by your gynecologist. Do not self-medicate to avoid risks.
Looking For Medical Assistance When Your Periods Are Irregular
For irregular periods, you can receive effective treatment. Consult the best gynecologist in South Delhi, Dr. Usha M Kumar, if you are experiencing abnormal menses so that she can diagnose the precise cause and suggest a suitable treatment plan. To determine your overall reproductive health, a gynecological examination should be conducted at least once a year.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.