26 Jan What you need to know about Endometrial Cancer
What are the risk factors for endometrial cancer?
Certain risk factors can make you more likely to get endometrial cancer. But, sometimes, you can have all the risk factors and still not develop the disease. Or you might not have any risk factors and still get uterine cancer.
Risk factors for endometrial cancer are as follows.
- Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): Women who are dealing with PCOS have abnormal hormone levels. These imbalances can increase the chances of having uterine (endometrial) cancer.
- Obesity: Women who are obese are more likely to have endometrial cancer as compared to women who are not obese. Obesity is one of the major risk factors for endometrial cancer.
- Early menstruation/ late menopause: Women who had their first period before the age of 12 have higher chances of having endometrial cancer. Also, the women who reach menopause after the age of 50.
- Older age: Most of the women who get endometrial cancer are of older age (more than 50).
- Endometrial hyperplasia: Endometrial hyperplasia means that there are more cells in the lining of the uterus. We call it precancerous condition because it might turn into cancer. Women with endometrial hyperplasia may have unusual bleeding and likely to have more chances of getting endometrial cancer.
- No pregnancies: Women who have never been pregnant have a higher chance of endometrial cancer.
- Family history: Women, who are any family members, have had uterine or colon cancer earlier is more likely to get this disease.
- Usage of Tamoxifen: Tamoxifen is used to treat women who have breast cancer and is used to help prevent breast cancer in women at high risk.
Will you need a hysterectomy, if you have endometrial cancer?
Hysterectomy (surgery to take out the uterus) is the main way to treat endometrial cancer. Some of the other treatments for endometrial cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, hormone therapy, and chemotherapy.
To know more – Consult Dr. Usha Kumar who is not only the Cancer Surgeon in Delhi but also Consultant gynaecologic & Laparoscopy surgeon, Oncology and Robotic Surgeon in South Delhi. Delhi is one of the best cities in India for the treatment of cancer, with great availability of surgical specialists and infrastructure for the treatment of this complex disease.